Saturday, April 11, 2009

Robles boy who doesn't like to eat????

Yesterday Jacob started feeding through the bottle! It has been a big day for him. He is having some trouble with it though, as was expected. He only will intake between 5-15 mil. at a time, but according to his weight they want him to consume 60 mil. every 3 hours. That's 3 oz!! Seems like a lot to me for such a little guy.... But the nurses insist that is what he needs. So whatever is not taken orally is put in his NG tube (through his nose to his stomach).

So he is having some problems with gagging, and obviously is having trouble eating orally as much as he should. I can't believe one of my babies doesn't like to eat......yet, that is. I know soon he will be just as chunky as the others when they were small. :) For now they think his problems sucking has a lot to do with his fast breathing. No one can swallow and breathe at the exact same time. Plus his first time ever having something orally is at 10 days old, so it will take a while for him to get used to it.

My mom wants me to tell you the story of how she saved a little boy's life last night. Across the hall in room 3 there is a little 18 month old boy who has been in the hospital since birth. :( In the middle of the night, alarms started beeping and the nurses were ignoring it as if it was nothing. mom looks outside our rainbow curtain to notice the poor little boy laying sideways across his bed, kicking his feet. "Excuse me," she says to our nurse. "I think that little boy is in trouble!" As our nurse rolls her eyes, she heads over there just to take a look. To her surprise, the little boy had pulled off his oxygen mask and tubes!! He couldn't breathe!! Nurses than went running to save that little boy's life. The nurse eventually came back and thanked my mom. Thanks mom for saving a life today!

1 comment:

  1. What is wrong with people. I mean come on alarms going off and ignoring them? Thank God you mom was there. To think they went to school to help the sick. ARRRGH! I've been considering nursing school. I figured I wanted to be in maternity ward but after being in there with Jacob, I think I can handle the NICU. Don't worry about him, he will figure it out and then he wont stop eating...lol

    ReplyDelete